Role Title: Data Science Program Manager
Reports To: Chief Scientific Officer
Position Location: DeForest, WI
Pay Grade: TBD
Work Level: 4
Exemption Status: Exempt
Overall Responsibilities: Genus R&D is recruiting an experienced data professional to join our R&D team and to play a leading role in the implementation of our Scientific Data Strategy. We are looking for an experienced professional who will be a champion for the role of data and data analytics across the organization and drive the development and implementation of the program. The primary responsibilities will be to lead the continued development of data management solutions, seamless data integration and analytic capabilities for scientific data. The role will report to CSO with dotted line reporting to the CIO.
- Lead a multi-year programme to create a structured technology environment for storing, sharing and analysing scientific data based on best practice architectures and standards
- Define and lead a portfolio of projects within this framework to deliver financial value to Genus
- Use experience and industry knowledge to drive speed to value
- Enable the development of advanced analytics capabilities to support the Scientific data strategy
- Champion the importance and value of data and data analytics
- Lead and develop a strong collaborative culture supporting data professionals across the organization
- Work with stakeholders across the business and R&D to identify, acquire and ingest desired data sources
- Work with stakeholders to develop the appropriate prioritization of needs and allocate resources accordingly
- Work closely with business users to understand and analyze business requirements, evaluate options with Business stakeholders, Business Analyst and Developers
- Drive Data Management and Data Analytics development standards, architectural reviews, and governance program
- Perform employee performance goal setting, and monthly and yearly reviews of the goals
- Coach employees and development team to conduct better development practices, improve employee competencies, and technical skills
- Interview and hire new employees or contractors for current internal needs or projects
- Research new development practices and technologies that could benefit Scientific Data management program
Qualifications and experience:
- Significant experience of designing and implementing relevant technology to collect, store and analyse data in a scientific environment including:
- APIs, data warehouses, data lakes, relational databases and data virtualization
- using cloud technologies to speed up implementation lifecycles
- working with Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), including requirements gathering, system design, development and validation
- creating data representations and analytical solutions
- data governance and data harmonization
- data modelling techniques
- Experience working with scientific (preferably life science) data and in an R&D context
- Thorough knowledge of data management principles and technology choices
- Proven data management and data modelling experience
- Working knowledge of data science IDE’s such as Rstudio, Jupyter
- Demonstrated ability to deliver a develop and deliver a new capability to a diverse organization.
- Demonstrated ability to form strong effective teams and operate in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Relevant Certifications and prove of continuous professional development
- A self-motivated leader and team player
- Ability to work in a matrix environment
- Ability to work in and manage multiple projects and meet established deadlines.
- Proven business analytical skills
- Excellent oral and writing skills with ability to communicate in an organized and concise manner
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- 10+ years of experience in Data Science/Management roles
- Bachelors of Science in Data Science or similar discipline required
- Excellent people management skills and previous experience
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
- Lives and displays the Genus Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work.
- Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member.
- Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills.
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.