We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a De Novo Assistant Herdsperson. This is an exclusive opportunity to work with the world’s premier Holstein genetics program. De Novo Genetics is home to many of the industry’s best Holstein females. It is a unique position working with elite Holstein breeder Darin Meyer and ABS Global within De Novo.
This position’s primary focus is to support De Novo Genetics initiatives by coordinating daily farm activities related to an elite genetics program. General responsibilities include supporting calf care, donor flow and synchronization, and close work with the ABS Global Product Development team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate De Novo calf care, including vaccinations, feeding, and health and tissue samples
- Ensure the coordination of day-to-day operations of donor herd, including synchronization programs, scheduling of flush/IVF of donors, data flow and recording
- Scheduling/management of recipient herd, including coordination of health testing, recipient flow (number of recipients needed), and data flow related to recipients
- Coordinate with ABS Global Product Development team, bi-weekly teleconferences and monthly meetings at the De Forest campus are expected
- Maintain ideal biosecurity and practices with the donors and calves
- Other duties as assigned.
Majority of time will be spent at the donor and calf facilities (in New Albin, IA and Caledonia, MN), with regular monthly trips to the ABS Global headquarters in De Forest WI.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience is required.
- Degree in Dairy/Animal Science OR 4+ years of applicable experience in lieu of degree. Excellent candidates with relevant on-farm experience will be considered.
- Good computer skills with specific knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PC Dart or other dairy herd management software.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience in or knowledge of elite Holstein genetics industry
- Knowledge of elite Holstein pedigrees a plus
- Direct experience with on-farm animal activities (non-milking), calf experience is desirable
- Cattle reproduction knowledge
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day-to-day ways of working.
- Professional attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Multi-tasking ability and strong organizational skills
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- Flexibility with respect to job responsibilities and consistently determined to be an effective team member