This position supports the elite beef genetics program and initiatives by coordinating and performing daily on-farm activities. Primary responsibilities include nutritional management of varying ages and classes of beef cattle, feed resource management and planning, oversight of individual feed intake measurement system, and supporting maintenance of day to day well-being of ABS owned cattle. The position will be based at the donor and bull performance testing facility in Pardeeville, WI.
- Nutritional Management of all ABS Cattle
- Ensure daily feeding and bunk management of all groups of ABS cattle
- Daily entry and tracking of feed delivery utilizing the existing feed management platform
- Develop and maintain a feed resource inventory
- Collaborate with professional nutritional consultant to develop and update rations needed for optimal performance of diverse ages and classes of cattle
- Maintenance and daily observation of individual animal feed intake system (Growsafe)
- Participate in record keeping for any and all animal treatments and movements utilizing the designated electronic platform
- To ensure high standards of livestock health and hygiene are maintained for all ABS cattle, all team members are expected to perform the following duties:
- Daily observation of cattle
- Feeding, bedding, facility hygiene and manure removal as needed to support farm staff
- Low stress handling of, and a proper attitude toward animals at all times
- Proper administration of all health and welfare related SOP
- Accommodation of bi-annual animal welfare audits
- Maintain defined welfare, biosecurity, and hygiene practices for all ABS cattle on site.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors Animal Science or related field, or significant relevant experience in lieu of degree
- 5 years or more of cattle experience gained through industry and/or farming experience
- Preferred candidates will have a proven track record of cattle husbandry
- Ideal candidates will have a working understanding of ruminant nutrition
- Good computer skills with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Detail oriented
- Basic cattle reproduction knowledge
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- Ensure the image and service orientation of the department and ABS remains professional at all times.
- Display willingness to perform non-routine tasks as needed to ensure overall productivity is high.