Who Are We?
ABS Global is a market leader in dairy and beef genetics and is uniquely positioned as a global player, with a dedicated, multi-species research and development (R&D) function and an international distribution network. We breed and distribute the genes of the world’s best bulls, scientifically selecting livestock whose offspring is designed to increase the profitability of our customers, who are some of the world’s biggest farmers and food producers
Our vision is clear: Pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Geneticist position in our Global Beef Product Development team. This position will be based in Deforest, WI and will initially work remote until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
The Geneticist is responsible for supporting the beef genetic program including developing and implementing genetic evaluations, managing, processing, loading and analyzing large field datasets, using data analytics to develop unique insights and working closely with the commercial beef team to demonstrate the value of differentiated genetics for internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop, implement, and maintain in-house genetic evaluations, including evaluations for novel traits
- Manage the data pipeline from the field to the global database, including organizing, validating, processing and loading
- Support product validation trials, research trials, and animal sampling for genotyping
- Develop innovative approaches for benchmarking and product validation to translate science into customer-friendly messages
- Build and maintain reporting tools to translate complex results into informative communications
- Collaborate with internal and externals partners on innovative approaches for leveraging data to accelerate genetic improvement
- Identify and capitalize upon opportunities to access and analyze data from the supply chain and identify novel phenotypes that will make an impact in beef production.
- Support the commercial Beef team with data analysis, interpretation of genetic results and presentation of results to staff, customers and key accounts
- Help staff and customers understand the value created by ABS genetics
- Travel required (at least 25%). Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record.
Qualifications and Experience – Required
- PhD degree in Animal Science, Genetics, Statistics, Animal Breeding or related field
- At least 3 years of experience in the livestock industry, preferably beef cattle with a strong understanding of commercial animal production systems
- Extensive experience working with commercial data, large complex datasets, data mining and data cleaning
- Proven ability to develop and implement genetic evaluations for conventional and novel traits
- Strong background working with databases (SQL) and statistical packages to manipulate and analyze data in a virtualized environment
- Experience with genomic evaluations and knowledgeable in ‘omics’ sciences
- Strong attention to detail and a focus on execution
- Strong communication and technical presentation skills with ability to effectively communicate technical information to a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record.
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- A willingness to travel both for data collection development and for communication with sales teams and SC stakeholders.
What Can We Offer You?
At Genus, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, together with the opportunities that come with working for a global organization. We offer an environment where personal growth in encouraged.
If you are interested in playing a key role for one of the most innovative and highly regarded companies in our industry, this is the business for you.