Position Location: De Forest, WI
Travel requirement: 5%
The Genomics Coordinator is responsible for coordination of all genomic testing in the global beef product development pipeline. This includes all leased bulls, bulls from our proprietary program, animals in our progeny testing pipelines and production validation program. Additionally, this role will provide support for developing materials to ensure successful export of beef genetics.
- Own the process of organizing the collection, transport and submission of all tissue samples in the beef pipeline for the global genomic testing program.
- Manage samples and documentation needed to complete genomic and genetic condition testing as required for genomic evaluations and marketing of beef bull semen, submission to third parties or for use in export processes.
- Work with field staff or customers to create and send regular shipments to third party testing facilities.
- Track the progress of all samples and develop and maintain regular reporting of sample status.
- Maintain routine communication with third party testing facilities.
- Ensure genotyping strategy developed by the beef product development team is effectively implemented in each region.
- Work with the vet staff on unusual calf cases, and request additional testing desired for these animals.
- Manage genomic parentage verifications and work with data analyst to update information in the database
- Complete ID Checks on US Stud bulls.
- Track and manage export documentation.
- Track and reconcile monthly DNA testing expenditures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science, or related field.
- Proven ability to work on a team as well as independently to achieve objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficient in computer programs, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- 2+ years experience working in beef industry.
- Good understanding of beef production and/or the beef supply chain.
- Experience working with genomic testing.
- Experience working with databases.
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.