Overall Responsibilities: Genus plc is a market leader in porcine, dairy and beef genetics and is uniquely positioned as a global player, with a dedicated, multi-species research and development function and an international distribution network. Food consumption is expected to rise by 60% in the next 20 years. Our challenge is to affordably and sustainably meet that escalating demand while global resources diminish. Our vision is clear: Pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world. We are hiring an experienced Attorney to help us keep growing and serve the R&D business unit. If you’re dedicated and ambitious, Genus is an excellent place to grow your career. Don’t hesitate to apply.
- Provide legal counsel and implement Genus strategy for IP creation, protection and compliance, including: drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and; managing outside counsel on U.S. and foreign patent filings.
- Work alongside in-house legal team and outside intellectual property counsel to provide general strategic intellectual property advice to the supported organizations, and assist in formulating an optimal intellectual property strategy in the context of the supported organizations’ overall strategy, threats and opportunities
- Monitor research and development projects within assigned business units to aid technical and legal teams in developing intellectual property protection for new products and technologies.
- Support intellectual property-related due diligence and risk assessment in connection with new products or technologies, mergers & acquisitions and other corporate transactions, as required.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of state of the art in key technological fields and provide strategic advice to research and business teams based thereon.
Qualifications and experience:
- Doctorate of Jurisprudence and Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in physics, chemistry, or engineering; Master’s degree or Ph.D. preferred.
- Eligibility for admission to the Wisconsin Bar within one year of start date required.
- Registered to practice before the USPTO required.
- Two years of patent-related experience required; 5+ years of experience preferred.
- Excellent academic credentials and strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with PAIR, EFS-WEB, and Patent Center strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with microfluidics, fluid dynamics, or flow cytometry preferred.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work.
- Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member.
- Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills.
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.