Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Under the direction of the Senior Embryologist/ Lab coordinator this position will be responsible for all routine lab procedures and will contribute to the successful completion of semen preparation, in vitro fertilization, and embryo culture and cryopreservation protocols. This position will aid in achieving current and forecasted production goals and will participate in the analysis of performance results, actively seeking opportunities for further investigation and testing solutions. This position will be expected to contribute both individually and as a team member—providing support to all team members and ensuring responsibilities are completed within production timelines.
- Prepare workspace and equipment to ensure accurate assessment and safe manipulation of the oocytes, semen and embryos.
- Assist in daily routine lab procedures including but not limited to maturation of bovine oocytes, semen thawing and preparation, in vitro fertilization, in vitro culture of embryos, cryopreservation of bovine embryos, loading embryos in straws for embryo transfer and media preparation.
- Execute in low volume and/or with supervision of an embryologist all aspects of grading, staging and loading embryos in straws for embryo transfer procedure.
- Execute in low volumes all aspects of embryo cryopreservation and thawing procedures.
- Assist in the calibration and maintenance of key lab equipment such as incubators, autoclave, lab hoods, centrifuge, nitrogen tanks and microscopes.
- Assist in preparation of materials (IVF and IVC culture dishes, oocyte maturation tubes, and embryo media)
- Type and send by email Production Reports.
- Follow established safety regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science, Biomedicine or related field required.
- Previous course work within laboratory environment preferred.
- Previous experiences using pipettes and microscope preferred.
- Experience in a laboratory or equivalent production environment preferred.
- Previous experience working in farm environment beneficial.
- Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) experience preferred.
- Ability to work varied shifts including weekends and holidays depending on production demands.
- Solution-driven and determined to achieve production goals.
- Ability to work varied shifts including an occasional Saturday and occasional holidays depending on production demand.
- Ability to follow detailed safety protocols as required during daily exposure to needles or other sharp objects, as well as, bodily fluids of beef and dairy cattle.
- Exceptional follow-through consistently demonstrating ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with diverse cultures.
- Ability to speak English required, bilingual (English/Portuguese) beneficial.