The ABS Dairy Product Development team is seeking a Quantitative Geneticist to help us change the future of animal breeding, through strategic and actionable uses of genetic and phenotypic data. Join a dynamic team using innovative technologies to reshape breeding strategies and to drive true economic improvement in the dairy industry through applying innovative methods.
This position will be based in Deforest, WI, option to work remote until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted will be considered.
- Utilize phenotype and genomic data from our Real World Database ® from herds located across the world
- Develop genomic evaluations for traditional and novel dairy breeding traits
- Help develop breeding indexes.
- Help develop new and innovative genomic applications
- Identify innovative ways to use genomic and/or phenotypic data
- Transverse between theory and practical applications
- Collaborate within and across scientific and non-scientific focused teams
- Effectively communicate to both technical and lay audiences
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Animal or Dairy Science, Animal Breeding, Quantitative Genetics, or a related Life Science field
- Experience using genomic data in populations and/or breeding programs
- Experience working with genetic data, large complex datasets, data mining, and data cleaning.
- Experience with commercial agriculture data preferred, but not required
- Experience in relevant programming languages including, but not exclusive to: R, ASREML, Bash scripting, LINUX, Python, SAS.
- Experience with imputation programs (FIMPUTE, FINDHAP, Beagle,…) for genetic and/or whole genome sequence data preferred, but not required.
- Strong understanding of quantitative genetics/animal breeding
- Knowledge of commercial animal production systems preferred, but not required Ability to develop and implement genetic evaluations
- Have a bias towards curiosity and extraction of actionable intelligence from data
- Strong communication and technical presentation skills with ability to effectively communicate technical information internally and externally
- CV and cover letter are required when applying.
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- A willingness to travel both for data collection development and for communication with sales teams and SC stakeholders.