Overall Responsibilities: This is a new role designed to provide strategic vision and scientific leadership to a team focused on advancing reproductive technologies including in-vitro fertilization, embryo transfer and manipulation, embryonic stem cells, and in-vitro breeding techniques. The Reproductive Biology Director will interface with research, regulatory, product development, legal and commercial teams to develop and execute plans for commercial application of advanced reproductive techniques.
• Provide global leadership in development of advanced reproductive techniques, shape the direction and core capabilities for reproductive technology program development in support of Genus bovine and porcine businesses
• Develop and advance the embryo research priorities with focus on strategies to increase the embryo performance
• Facilitate advancement of IVF techniques and methods including media optimization, process optimization and automation
• Develop embryo stem cells capabilities and in vitro breeding techniques through collaborations and in-house research
• Work closely with the CSO to develop a staffing and capability building plan to assemble necessary internal and external competencies to execute the strategic plan
• Recruit personnel, develop, coach, and mentor technical professionals
• Effectively communicate with team members, adjacent functional teams and senior management. Keep executive leadership team abreast of the progress and challenges
• Develop strategy for intellectual property creation, identification and protection.
• Interface with research, product development and commercial organizations
• Conduct project risk identification and mitigation action planning. Work closely with portfolio management team and R&D Strategy and Operations Lead
• Exemplify the highest level of business and personal integrity at all times
• Value and practice diverse and inclusive culture and working environment
• Travel maximum 20%, both domestically and internationally.
Education & Experience:
• Advance Degree (PhD) in Biology, Agriculture, Agribusiness, Reproductive Biology or relevant field. Relevant degree in Medicine, Veterinarian science.
• At least 10 years of experience managing teams and developing research plans and strategies in academic or commercial environment focused on animal reproduction, embryo manipulation and/or new in vitro breeding techniques
• Success in leading and building a team of professionals to provide out of the box solutions
• Fluent in English (desirable: Spanish & Portuguese).
• Considerable knowledge of the dairy and beef genetics market, with an understanding of animal health.
• Experience developing short and long-term strategic business plans.
• Proven records of success in relevant field (publications)
• Strong understanding of business environment and drivers
• Demonstrated ability to implement the research plans and achieve results
• Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a diverse team of professionals
• Strong people skills and ability to bring together various experts and functions across Genus to ensure cross-functional coordination and alignment
• Strong leadership skills, outstanding written and verbal communication
Capabilities and behaviors:
• Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
• Lives and displays the Genus Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work.
• Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
• Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member.
• Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development.
• Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills.
• Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.