The Staff Veterinarian is responsible for the implementation and communication of the ABS Health Assurance Program, including overseeing the health monitoring program, protecting the health status of ABS livestock through oversight of biosecurity and health risk management. The position will promote Genus values through communication, strategic planning and cooperation between our veterinary, laboratory and livestock teams. The veterinarian in this position will have primary care responsibilities at the Deforest/Dekorra/Leeds, WI sites.
Clinical Care Responsibilities
- Provide clinical care to resident bull population
- Provide diagnostic and therapeutic procedures for sick bulls
- Direct medical assessment and management of sick/injured bulls
- Surgery when indicated and appropriate
- Referral for advanced care when appropriate
- Herd testing consistent with ABS sire health program and international semen qualification
- Monitor forage quality and assist in developing rations consistent with nutritional needs to the bulls. Monitor bull body condition and recommend changes to feeding program to correct over/under feeding
- Monitor and correct ABS inter- and intra- herd hygiene policy and procedures with and through Livestock supervisors
- Monitor and enforce adherence to biosecurity and hygiene policies by all departments
- Assist Livestock Manager/Supervisor in pest control program at all livestock locations
- Conduct semen evaluations of suspected abnormal semen collections
- Give complete on arrival examinations and thoroughly document findings
- Assess suitability of bulls for use in AI
- Administer other arrival treatments
- Communicate with supervisor and appropriate managers when unacceptable or bulls with poor prognosis arrive with timely, accurate, and detailed findings.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree or Equivalent
- Licensed and USDA Category II Accredited to Practice Veterinary Medicine in Wisconsin
- Practice experience a plus but not a prerequisite
Additional Abilities Required
- Interest in export regulations
- Willingness to learn about laws and regulations and think outside the norm
- Enjoyment in working with animals
- Desire to promote animal welfare
- Interest in biosecurity
- Desire to educate staff and stakeholders
- Interest in calf care and best management practices
- Interest in epidemiology and disease spread
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.