Under the direction of the Sr. Veterinary Reproductive Specialist, this position will be responsible for completing procedures involved with assisted reproductive technologies, including, but not limited to, general anesthesia, selecting and grading of bovine oocytes and embryos, and handling and loading bovine embryos into straws for transfer into recipient animals or cryopreservation. This position will be based in DeForest, WI.
- Perform general anesthesia on 2-6 month old calves for laparoscopic ovum pickup procedure
- Calibrate, troubleshoot and maintain equipment involved with general anesthesia, including the vaporizer, ventilator, and monitors
- Maintain sanitation and sterilization protocol for all equipment and supplies.
- Oversee and maintain drug and supply inventories
- Proficiently complete selection and grading of bovine oocytes for IVEP
- Execute all aspects of embryo cryopreservation and thawing procedures including slow rate cryo (DT) and vitrification procedures which includes media preparation, identification of viable embryos for cryopreservation, loading embryos in straws, cryogenic freezer operation, storage and inventory of cryopreserved material.
- Execute all aspects of grading, staging and loading embryos for the embryo transfer procedure which includes following IETS embryo washing standards, correctly identifying stages of development and grade quality of embryos, as well as, properly loading embryos in straws for subsequent embryo transfer.
- Maintain timely and accurate records according to IETS standards
- Follow established health and safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned.
- Up to 50% regional travel may be required
- Ensure the image and service orientation of the department and ABS remains professional at all times
- Associates degree from accredited veterinary technology program required
- State of WI Veterinary Technician Licensure or the ability to become licensed in WI required
- Minimum 3 years of general anesthesia experience required
- Experience with cattle is a plus
- Experience with oocyte/embryo handling is a plus
- Valid Driver’s License
Capabilities and Behaviors
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- Ensure the image and service orientation of the department and ABS remains professional at all times.