Genus ABS is recruiting for a Production Technician to join the Glan Y Wern, North Wales team to rear calves and youngstock and prepare recipient heifers for embryo transfers.
You will work as a team to ensure consistency in care for high-value animals to support the development of NuEra Genetics™ and De Novo Genetics future generations and their impact on Genus ABS‘ customer herds around the globe.
This is an unmissable opportunity to join a growing team at a world-class facility housing more than 250 calves and 80 heifers for rearing. The facility utilises sustainable and high-tech equipment to provide the best comfort and conditions to the animals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow protocols in all animal husbandry activities
- Maintain the cleanliness and hygiene of calf housing and equipment
- Collect and process data using different technologies to measure results:
- Colostrum absorption
- Daily live weight gains
- Feed intakes
- Treatments and antibiotic usage
- Conception rates
- Follow a synchronisation protocol to prepare recipient heifers for embryo transfers, including:
- Insert intravaginal progesterone-releasing devices (CIDRs)
- Inject hormone treatments
- Maintaining optimum conditions to ensure reasonable conception rates
- Previous animal handling experience
- Full clean driving license
- Availability to travel to other production sites on occasion (Herefordshire, Warwickshire and Yorkshire, England)