This position supports the elite beef genetics program and initiatives by providing exceptional care and handling to ABS cattle and assisting in the implementation of pre-planned management practices. Primary responsibilities will include: observation of cattle for signs of disease or distress; low-stress handling of cattle to administer vaccines, treatments, and estrus synchronization per established SOPs; seasonal support of successful calving of elite beef nucleus calves. The position will be based at the donor and bull performance testing facility in Pardeeville, WI.
- Care and safe handling of all recipient cows and elite beef genetic cattle, to include:
- Daily observation of animals for health and welfare concerns
- Low-stress handling of cattle necessary to administer necessary treatments per established SOP
- Provide cattle handling to support scheduled reproductive management work, administration of preventative herd health protocols, and data collection activities.
- Seasonal support of successful calving, including: observation and handling of cows and newborn calves to ensure colostrum intake, calving data collection, and proper identification and vaccination of newborn calves.
- Record keeping for any-and-all animal treatments and movements utilizing the designated electronic platform
- To ensure high standards of livestock health and hygiene are maintained for all ABS cattle, all team members are expected to perform the following duties:
- Daily observation of cattle
- Occasional feeding, bedding, facility hygiene and manure removal as needed to support farm staff
- Low stress handing of, and a proper attitude toward animals at all times
- Proper administration of all health and welfare related SOP
- Maintain defined welfare, biosecurity, and hygiene practices for all ABS cattle on site.
Qualifications and experience:
- 5 years or more of beef cattle experience gained through industry and/or farming experience
- Clear understanding of normal appearance and condition of healthy cattle, and ability to recognize cattle in distress or displaying signs of disease
- Preferred candidates will have a proven track record of cattle husbandry
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- Ensure the image and service orientation of the department and ABS remains professional at all times.
- Display willingness to perform non-routine tasks as needed to ensure overall productivity is high.